How to Make Mashed Potatoes
The delightful flavor and amazing taste of a dish makes it an unforgettable experience. The culinary items give particular kind of feeling which is only relatable to the people who are foodies. Mashed potatoes is one of such culinary item that even a person who is not a food lover, in real sense, can easily relate to. How to make mashed potatoes, of course, remains one of the serious concerns for the people who cook. You should know how to make mashed potatoes exactly because there are many intricate delicacies in the recipe, which when not followed can ruin the taste of the dish.
The best part about mashed potatoes is you can not only serve it as a main dish but also as a starter or a side dish. How to make mashed potatoes becomes even more important when you come to realize that it is the dish which can be served with many other dishes to. For instance, mashed potatoes are served alongside with gnocchi, potato croquettes, dumplings, colcannon, shepherd's and cottage pies and many others. Following are some easy steps to make yummiest mashed potatoes.
- 2 pounds of potatoes
- 2 teaspoons salt (or to taste)
- Freshly ground black pepper (or to taste)
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 ounce cream cheese
- 2 tablespoons butter
How to make mashed potatoes
- After washing potatoes, peel them.
- Cut the potatoes length-wise. A 1-1/2 or 2 inch quarter chunks is the best size.
- Put the potatoes in a saucepan and fill it to cover the chunks of potatoes. Add salt in the saucepan too.
- When water starts boiling, let it simmer for 20 minutes.
- Drain the potatoes from the saucepan.
- Put the boiled potatoes in a bowl and add cream, milk, black pepper, cream cheese and butter.
- Start mashing the potatoes. Keep on mashing the potatoes till they have no more lump left and their texture is creamy.
Following the above mentioned easy steps you can know how to make mashed potatoes. You can season your mashed potatoes with fresh coriander or mint. For other flavor suggestions, you can use garlic, or sour cream. Foodies love mashed potatoes with gravy as well. You can increase the quantity of cream and butter to make gravy for the mashed potatoes that you can serve with rice or bread.